Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Hobby



The word, hobby is a descriptive term. It stands for an activity that one does for pleasure when one is not working. It is an essential ingredient of our life. It makes us more dynamic, energetic and self-motivated. Perhaps, it is due to the long lasting effects of hobbies on human beings that stimulate them to have a hobby. There is the diversity of hobbies. Painting, shooting, gardening, stamp-collecting, fishing, reading books and photography etc are some important and popular hobbies. One’s hobby is also the indication of one’s nature.
Reading books is my hobby. Whenever I get spare time I read books and magazines. When I was a school going child, I used to read comics and books of fairy tales. Now I like books on spirituality, mysticism, history, self-help books, novels and biographies. I have a real taste for novels, short stories and books that deal with historical events. It is bliss to comprehend great works of distinguished authors. I get constructive knowledge from books. I find out excellent and righteous things of life from them. Besides giving knowledge they entertain us to the maximum extent. I discover the true portrait of life from books.
The blessings and joys of reading are limitless. Knowledge is the basic components for acquiring both the innate and learned powers. It is said ‘knowledge is power’. Books are the treasure of knowledge. We learn at lot from them. They give food for our minds. Books split the boredom of life. They bring charisma and exhilaration into it. They are the best friends. They present an enduring and consistent attachment of friendship. Those who are in love with reading cannot find a better friend than a good book. They are our best guides, too. Books are continued to entertain and instruct generations after generations. They carry forward all that knowledge and wisdom which human race has achieved through ages. They are indispensable. I read such books that give us a picture of our life. That is why I like reading books.
Reading books is science as well as an art. I have learnt many things from my experiences and reading books. I want to suggest one thing here that books should be to our flavor and gains. We have to be very cautious in selecting books. Francis Bacon once said, ‘Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested : that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few books to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.’ There is an abundance of books in the market. There are books on various subjects. But, the choice of books is as important as the choice of friends. Some people are careless in selecting books. They read cheap books based on violence, romance and indecent nudity. I avoid such books because such books have a negative effect on our cerebral mind, attitudes and behavioral pattern. Therefore, care should be taken in the selection of books.
It will not be exaggeration to say that if you have not read today, you have not really lived today. So, I think my hobby is the best of all hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment